Get a Healthier Scalp!
It seems like women have been trying to unlock the secret to longer hair for ages. I have personally purchased numerous hair products and vitamins which have promised to increase my hair growth. However, I'm still unsatisfied and so I ventured to get down to the science of hair growth. What I found was alarming. Most hair products, medicines, environments, and even foods can negatively impact your scalp which ultimately affects your hair's growth potential.
Did you know that a damaged scalp can lead to slowed hair growth? I came across an article over at Discovery Fit & Health which discussed the top five tips for maintaining a healthy scalp:
Choose a Healthy Diet!
- According to Discovery Health, we should trade in our over processed foods for foods that are rich in protein, complex carbs, fatty acids, and essential vitamins... Find out more
- Did you know that when your stylists massage your scalp during a routine shampoo they're actually "increasing blood flow and lymphatic drainage in [your] head while stimulating your hair follicles." Discovery Health advises that we invest in a scalp massage brush Find out more
Give Your Hair Treatments!
- Professional hair treatments are great for revitalizing your hair and protecting your scalp. Discovery Health recommends Nioxin Therapy and Moroccan Oil for treating dry scalp Find out more
Watch out for Harmful Dyes and Chemicals!
- It's no secret that bleaching and coloring your hair can lead to breakage and ultimately damage your scalp. Discovery advises that if you insist on getting your hair colored, you seek professional assistance. Relaxers are also harmful and can cause scalp irritation if not done professionally. Learn More
Limit Exposure to the Sun!
- According to Discovery Health, if your hair is exposed to too much sun, it can become dry and brittle. Likewise, your scalp can be come flaky and itchy. Avoid this by wearing a hat if you're going to be outdoors for a long period of time. It's also wise to invest in hair products that include sunscreen as one of their ingredients. Learn More